Chapter 4: Deep Venous Thrombosis Prevention
Original authors: Robert D. McBane and John A. Heit
Abstracted by Kellie R. Brown
- Risk Factors
- Prevention of DVT and PE : "Mechanical" and"pharmacologic" prevention
- Who should get preventative treatment
- Low Risk Patients
- Moderate Risk Patients
- High Risk Patients
- Very High Risk Patients
- Non-Surgical High Risk Patients
- Are there special circumstances that change the risk of DVT?
- Hip or Knee Replacement Surgery
- How long should preventative measures be given?
Venous thromboembolism (VTE), which is either deep vein thrombosis (DVT) or pulmonary embolus (PE), is the 4th leading cause of death in Western society. Thus, preventing VTE is very important. This chapter will discuss the main ways to prevent a DVT or PE.